Friday, June 09, 2006

GREETINGS.

I have previously written at some length about the greetings to which we are subjected in retail stores, an supermarkets.

Good morning/afternoon, please and thank you, seem not to be part of the general vocabulary. After my last letter, I was assailed by various people anxious to explain that they were taught to express various versions of 'How are you, Have a nice one etc. The mind boggles at the various nasal type accents in which these words were produced. and one can only wonder who trains the trainer.

Sad to say, the the situation has not improved, except in one incredible instance.

I happened to be in our local Coles supermarket this week, and saying, as usually I do, "Good Morning', I was replied to, with exactly the same words with 'Sir' tacked on the end. Saying I was struck dumb, is putting it midly, more so, when the cashier
[AKA, check out chick!!] said, [looking me straight in the eye],on my completing my purchaser said."Thank you Sir, "

Well, Lordy Lordy, I slowly drove home, took a couple of aspirins had a cup of tea
and lie down in an endeavour to recover from the shock. To try to persuade the Gen/Mgrs of these establishments to train their staff to offer the very basic courtesies, well, I might just as well write to my local council about their lousy water managment programme. To expect a reply is an exercise in futility on both
accounts.

Caz.









Caz.

AKA Carol Armytage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home